Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Then again....

.....there is always the second guessing..."Oh my God, what have I done?" I get a wild hare and come up with some wingding, half baked plan and then run with it...That's all fine and good. But then I start talking about it and that's when it starts to become real. That's because in the western culture we live in, it seems like success is measured in accomplishment which is very much attached to our egos.
of course my ego has an investment in this otherwise I wouldn't do it...However, once I give this half baked wild scheme voice to others, now I'm obligated. At least in my mind anyway...I could back off and forget the whole thing I suppose...What purpose would that serve? I have backed off the summits of a few mountains and that's a tough call...Maybe the weather looked threatening, it was already an hour past my turn around time, I ran out of water, I was really exhausted or whatever....The decision is always tough as I think to myself, "I've been climbing this rock pile for hours, I can see the summit, it's only 500 more feet straight up. What will THEY say if I quit now?" That's a very dangerous place for a mountaineer. Ego kills more adventurers than anything.
Do I really need to "justify" my adventures to anyone? I don't think so. I will cycle 1,000 miles for the simple reason that I can...
There are those with a similar history or her-story to mine, who can't find their way to the grocery store for a loaf of bread. I am lucky, blessed and grateful to have my mental faculties somewhat intact.
More on that later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home